Geri Allen Memorial Service
Members of the University of Pittsburgh community and the general public are invited to gather to remember the late Geri Allen, former director of the Pitt Jazz Studies program Heinz Memorial Chapel.
Allen passed away June 27 of this year following a battle with cancer. She was 60.
The program will include remarks from:
- Patrick Gallagher, chancellor;
- Kathleen Blee, Bettye J. and Ralph E. Bailey Dean of the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences;
- Janis Burley Wilson, CEO and president of the August Wilson Center;
- Michael Heller, assistant professor of Jazz Studies;
- Deane Root, chair of Pitt’s Department of Music; and
- Mount Allen III, Allen’s brother.
Musical interludes will be provided by Pitt undergraduate, graduate and faculty musicians.
A nationally-recognized pianist and composer, Allen headed up the Pitt Jazz Studies program beginning in 2014, when she official joined the faculty after coordinating the fall 2013 Pitt Jazz Seminar and Concert. She took the reins after the founding director of the program, Nathan Davis retired.
A livestream of the services will be available at http://pi.tt/geriallenmemorial. The stream will be available shortly before the program starts at 4:00 pm
Location and Address
Heinz Memorial Chapel
S. Bellefield Ave., Oakland.