The University of Pittsburgh earned a score of 95 out of 100 in the 2019 Athletic Equality Index (AEI), an increase from the previous score of 48 in the report’s inaugural edition in 2017. A report was not issued in 2018.
The AEI, issued by Athlete Ally, provides “a comprehensive look at how member institutions of the NCAA Power 5 conferences … are utilizing policies to support their LGBTQ+ student-athletes, coaches, administrators, staff and fans.”
To measure this, institutions were asked to provide information on the following and were scored in these areas:
- Comprehensive nondiscrimination policies
- LGBTQ+ resources and educational materials
- An inclusive fan code of conduct
- Policies for transgender student-athlete inclusion
- Student-athlete initiatives relative to LGBTQ+ inclusion
- Out of ally-trained athletics staff members
- A co-hosted event supporting LGBTQ+ inclusion
- A recurring LGBTQ+ inclusive initiative or campaign
Learn more about LGBTQIA+ resources on the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website.